Distilled water is the purest form of water, and it can have many positive effects on your health and well-being. Read on to learn more about the benefits of drinking distilled water and how it can benefit you.
Introduction to distilled water and its benefits
Distilled water is a type of water that has been purified through a process known as distillation. In this process, water is heated until it turns into steam and then collected in a separate container, where it cools and returns to a liquid state. The result is a clean and pure form of water that is free from impurities and minerals.
Drinking distilled water has a number of potential benefits. It is often recommended by health experts as a way to improve hydration and support overall health and wellness. Additionally, because it lacks the minerals found in other types of water, it can be beneficial for those with certain medical conditions or even for those looking to improve the performance of household appliances!
In this article, we will take a closer look at the process of distillation and the potential benefits of drinking distilled water. We will also discuss how to incorporate it into your daily routine for optimal health and wellness. You’ll discover why I drink distilled water and have done since 2018 with no plans of stopping this health habit any time soon!
The purification process of distilled water
The process of distillation is a natural method of purification that has been used for centuries to produce clean, safe drinking water. It works by heating water until it turns into steam, which is then collected in a separate container. As the steam cools and returns to a liquid state, it becomes distilled water.
The impurities and minerals in the original water are left behind, resulting in a pure form of water that is free from contaminants. This process is effective at removing a wide range of impurities, including bacteria, viruses, and dissolved solids such as heavy metals and minerals.
Additionally, distillation can remove many common contaminants that may be found in water sources, such as chlorine, lead, and other chemicals. This makes it an effective method of purification for water that may be contaminated or unfit for drinking.
Overall, the process of distillation is a reliable and natural way to produce clean, safe drinking water. It can be used in areas where the quality of the local water supply is uncertain. It also has other uses as well, such as for medical procedures and the production of certain household products, however, we will continue to focus on its relevance as a drinking water in this article.
Make your own distilled water easily at home
To make distilled drinking water at home, you can buy a countertop water distiller such as the Megahome distiller (which we use daily and recommend) to easily produce pure distilled water every single day.
We’ve been using our Megahome water distiller since 2018, running it once or twice on a daily basis. They are long-lasting and give great results.
We even tested the dissolved substances in our water before using the distiller and after. We purchased a TDS meter from eBay to measure this. A TDS meter measures using ppm which is parts per million.
Our tap water had 200 ppm which is 200 dissolved substances. 1 grain is equal to around 17 ppm.
How gross is this? 200 traces of dissolved substances in our “clean” tap water!
However, after distilling our tap water at home, we measured it again using the TDS meter and it read just 2 ppm. What a difference!
Easily distil your own pure water at home!
We love the Megahome countertop water distiller and have been using it since 2018 every day.
It gives us fresh, pure water which tastes so much nicer than the local tap water.
Plus, it removes all the questionable contaminants.
The lack of impurities and minerals in distilled water and its impact on health
One of the key benefits of drinking distilled water is that it is free from impurities and minerals. This can have a number of positive impacts on health.
First, because it lacks the minerals found in other types of water, distilled water is less likely to cause mineral buildup in the body. This can be beneficial for those with certain medical conditions, such as kidney or liver disease, in which the body may have difficulty removing excess minerals.
Second, the lack of impurities in distilled water means that it is less likely to contain harmful contaminants that may be found in other types of water, even in regular tap water. This can help to support overall health and wellness by providing the body with a clean and pure source of hydration, free from any worrying toxins.
Finally, the purity of distilled water can also make it more effective at hydrating the body. Because it does not contain any impurities or minerals, it can be more easily absorbed by the body, leading to improved hydration and overall health.
Overall, the lack of impurities and minerals in distilled water can have a number of positive impacts on health and wellness which we’ll explore more in the next heading. It is an effective way to support the body’s natural processes and maintain good hydration.
Distilled water as a source of hydration and its potential benefits for the body
Distilled water is an effective source of hydration for the body, and it has a number of potential benefits.
First, because it is free from impurities and minerals, distilled water is a pure and clean source of hydration. It can be more easily absorbed by the body, leading to improved hydration and overall health. This is particularly important for people who are active or engage in physical activity, as adequate hydration is essential for optimal performance and recovery.
Second, drinking distilled water can support the body’s natural processes and functions. The lack of minerals and impurities in distilled water means that it is less likely to cause mineral buildup in the body. This can be beneficial for those with certain medical conditions, such as kidney or liver disease, in which the body may have difficulty removing excess minerals.
Third, distilled water can help to support healthy skin and hair. Because it is free from impurities, it can help to reduce the build-up of chemicals and minerals on the skin and hair, leading to improved appearance and texture.
Some of the known health benefits of drinking distilled water include:
- Improved hydration
- Support for the body’s natural processes and functions
- Reduced risk of mineral buildup in the body
- Improved appearance and texture of skin and hair
- Support for overall health and wellness.
Some additional potential benefits of drinking distilled water for health and wellness include:
- Reduced risk of developing certain medical conditions, such as kidney stones or gallstones, that can be caused by excessive mineral buildup in the body
- Distilled water has no minerals or salts that can cause digestive problems.
- Tap water can contain chlorine and fluoride which are both known to be harmful for human health.
- Distilled water contains no minerals or salts, which means it does not change the pH balance in our bodies like tap water does. This can help reduce acid reflux and other related problems for people who suffer from these conditions.
- Better-tasting beverages, such as coffee and tea, when made with distilled water
- Improved oral health, as distilled water does not contain the minerals that can contribute to tooth decay and other dental problems.
- Peace of mind knowing your drinking water is free of potentially harmful contaminants that may be present in other types of water such as tap water.
According to MedicalNewsToday, the benefits of drinking distilled water include:
- Cleansing the body with pure water: When drinking distilled water, a person is consuming water with no other additives. Because distilled water is pure, some people believe that it can be cleansing for the body, though data on this is limited.
- Reducing the risk of disease: Distillation removes waterborne pathogens. Most waterborne disease-causing bacteria do not survive distillation.
- Reducing the risk of consuming harmful chemicals: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does allow for low levels of certain harmful chemicals in drinking water. In distilled water, none of these chemicals is present.
According to MedicineNet, the benefits are:
- Cure Arthritis: Drinking water purified by distillation is believed by some to cure arthritis by washing out calcium and other mineral deposits in joints.
- Reducing the risk of heart diseases: Observational epidemiological studies have linked water hardness and cardiovascular disease risk. The hardness or softness of water is determined by the mineral content of both calcium and magnesium. When distillation eliminates these two, the result is soft water.
- Cleanses the body: Because distilled water is pure, it can detoxify the body and improve your health.
- Prevents kidney stones: Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals that form in the kidney and are painful when passing. Drinking distilled water prevents mineral build-up that can lead to kidney stone formation.
- Prevents teeth discolouration: Distillation removes minerals from water, thus protecting your teeth from too much fluoride exposure, responsible for teeth discolouration.
My own personal favourite benefits of distilled water include:
- Detoxifying – It will attract and rid your body of all the inorganic minerals and substances it doesn’t need.
- Amazing taste – Lots of sources online that are against distilled water claim it lacks taste, but we’ve found the opposite! We think it tastes amazing. So pure and clean and delicious when it’s still warm and freshly distilled. Tap water now tastes pretty disgusting in comparison.
- Less harmful contaminants – Compared to drinking regular tap water your body will not be receiving any harmful contaminants that could have serious implications on your health and even cause disease
- Reducing the risk of disease – Many waterborne pathogens that cause disease will not survive water distillation.
- Perfect appliances – If your kettle, as mine did, often got super clogged up with limescale, then it won’t at all with distilled water. Our kettle looks brand new after years of heavy use.
- May treat bladder cancer – According to this journal distilled water was as effective as chemotherapy when destroying bladder cancer cells. That’s pretty amazing.
- It purifies water naturally – There is no need to add chemicals or questionable filter devices to cleanse the water. It’s naturally done by boiling water into steam and condensing it back into the water.
- Less plastic waste – We were buying so many bottles of mineral water before distilling and creating a lot of plastic waste. Having our own water distiller at home to purify our own water is cheaper and creates no plastic waste.
- No additives – Some water supplies add calcium which can be problematic for people with kidney stones. Distilled water obviously does not have additives and returns water to its pure H2O state. Drinking distilled water can reduce the risk of developing more kidney stones.
Conclusion and recommendation for incorporating distilled water into daily routine
In conclusion, distilled water is a great and potentially healthier alternative to tap water and it is a perfect way to stay hydrated. Tap water is not as clean as it used to be, and the chlorine in tap water can cause health problems. Distilled water is also better for your skin and hair, which can both suffer from the chemicals in tap water.
Incorporating distilled water into your daily routine is easy with the many countertop water distillers available on the market today, both brand new and preloved on marketplaces like eBay. We simply fill our distiller and turn it on every morning, sometimes once more in the evening if we need more drinking water. We then store it in large Kilner jars with tap dispensers. Cleaning the distiller is easy too and you can find our more in our other blog post how to clean a water distiller for the best cleaning hacks.
Incorporating distilled water into your daily routine is an effective way to support your health and wellness. It is a pure and clean source of hydration that can help to support the body’s natural processes and functions.
Why we love the Megahome water distiller
- Made well, so long-lasting
- One of the highest-performing water distillers on the market, giving the purest water at home
- Large jug (we love the glass jug, but they also offer a cheaper BPA-free plastic jug)
- Easy to clean (we swill between each use and use their cleaning crystals 1-2 times per year for a deep clean)