I was kindly sent the Ponti balsamic vinegar featured in this article to review in collaboration with Ciao Gusto.
What is balsamic vinegar?
Balsamic vinegar is a dark vinegar that is traditionally aged in wooden barrels over many years to acquire its distinct sweet, bold, rich and tart taste.
It can be used in cooking and we love to add it to homemade pasta sauces, or drizzle over pasta, salads and pizzas.
It also makes a great dip for breads, and is popular mixed with olive oil for bread dipping.
Is balsamic vinegar good for you?
Yes! Surprisingly some vinegars, such as balsamic vinegar are actually good for you. Balsamic vinegar has many health benefits with are supported by studies when used appropriately in and on your food, i.e. don’t start drinking it neat!
The health benefits of balsamic vinegar:
- Can help to lower cholesterol thanks to its antioxidants which can block toxic cholesterol raising cells.
- Aids healthy digestion as acetic acid contains probiotics.
- Supports weight loss as it is a fat-free dressing, but can also help you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer.
- It can regulate blood sugar making it a diabetes friendly dressing.
- May help to lower blood pressure, especially when it replaces more fatty foods that are usually consumed such as butters and oils.
- Can help to clear skin with its content of antioxidants, antimicrobial compounds and acetic acid.
Ponti Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP HD review
Usually we buy really cheap balsamic vinegar and it’s nothing like this!
The Ponti Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP HD is a little pricier than we usually pay for balsamic vinegar, at £7 per bottle instead of around £2-3, but now I’ve tried it, it’s definitely worth it and we’ll be regularly purchasing this balsamic version as a cupboard staple.
The balsamic vinegar we usually get is runnier and tastes watered down in comparison. This balsamic vinegar, however, is much thicker and tastes genuine. It’s a higher price because it is a higher quality product!
This Ponti vinegar is aged in small oak barrels in Modena, Italy and follows a strict process to be classed as Aceto Balsamico di Modena P.G.I.:
“It must be produced exclusively in the vinegar cellars of the provinces of Modena and Reggio Emilia using musts obtained from the 7 most cultivated grape varieties in Emilia Romagna – Lambrusco, Sangiovese, Trebbiano, Albana, Ancellotta, Fortana and Montuni – which guarantee perfect acidity and sugar content. Then wine vinegar and a percentage of wine vinegar aged for a minimum of 10 years are added to the musts. Aceto Balsamico di Modena P.G.I. matures in casks of noble wood in the vinegar cellars, in ideal temperature and aeration conditions.” – Ponti
I’ve had this on my cold pasta salad so far and also a drizzle on some tabboulleh, making my husband do the same as it tasted so good!
Being a thicker balsamic, it will be great for dipping breads and potatoes in, which I can’t wait to try.
Being a high quality genuine balsamic vinegar, the ingredients list is minimal which is also a plus. Simply cooked grape must and fine wine vinegar. No additives, colours, preservatives, nada.
Being high-density makes it easier to pour and it’s definitely not as messy as the cheaper balsamic when it comes to pouring over food.. I’ll be continuing to enjoy this drizzled over salads and for dipping, saving our old watered down versions for adding to cooking only!
Now I’ve tried a higher quality balsamic, we won’t be going back to the runny cheap versions.
Discover Ponti balsamic vinegar and more from the Ciao Gusto range at Ocado
Picking up all your favourite authentic Italian food and drink has never been easier with the Ciao Gusto Italian Deli at Ocado.
For the first time, a simple tab brings together over 30 of Italy’s most popular brands, so you can find exactly what you’re looking for – and discover new and exciting ingredients – in just one click.
You’ll be familiar with many products already. Everything you’ll find at the Ciao Gusto Italian Deli has been specially selected for its reputation as an authentic Italian favourite.
Here’s some of the Italian brands you’ll discover at the Ciao Gusto Italian Deli:
- Pasta – Barilla, Rana
- Rice – Riso Gallo
- Flours – Polenta Valsugana
- Tomato and Vegetable Conserves – Cirio
- Herbs and Spices – Cannamela
- Soya and Rice products – Valsoia
- Olive Oil – Filippo Berio
- Vinegar – Ponti
- Bakery – Colussi, Misura,
- Dried fruits – Noberasco
- Jams – Santa Rosa
- Coffee – Lavazza
- Herbal Teas – Bonomelli
- Water and Fruit Juices – San Benedetto, Santal
- Wine – Zonin, Santa Margherita
- Spirits – Vecchia Romagna
- Cherries and Syrups – Fabbri
20% off selected Ponti items at Ocado until 4th May 2021
These items will all be save 20% from 6th April – 4th May 2021
- Ponti Balsamic Vinegar Of Modena 250ml
- Aceto Balsamico di Modena I.G.P. – Gold cap spray 250ml
- Ponti Grilled Aubergines
- Ponti Zero Oil Pepper & Lemon Artichokes
- Organic Sundried Tomatoes
Discover these and more at http://www.ocado.com/ciaogusto
4 thoughts on “Balsamic vinegar benefits: is balsamic vinegar good for you?”
Love balsamic vinegar!
Me too! I use it in so many meals, or as a condiment 🙂
I had no idea it had health benefits; that’s so good to know! This brand sounds really nice.
Thanks for writing this